Universal Credit claimants may be eligible for extra £156 per week – check now

Housing: PM announces changes to Universal Credit rules

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Some 5.6 million Britons claim Universal Credit, with thousands more expected to sign up for the Government support this year. Recipients may also be entitled to PIP (Personal Independence Payment), a cash boost to help those with a long term illness or disability.

People do not need to be in work or contributing to National Insurance to claim the extra help, which is not means tested.

The amount an individual receives depends on their circumstances, including what health conditions or mobility issues they have.

Some three million Britons claim PIP, with more than a third of them receiving the highest level of award.

The support is available for people over 16 and under state pension age.

To claim the benefit, a person must have had difficulty with daily living for three months, and expect this to continue for at least another nine months.

People will need to take an assessment to work out the level of financial help they will receive.

The rate will also be regularly reviewed to make sure that they are getting the right support.

PIP is made up of a daily living and mobility component.


Slash your daily costs by £25 with ‘easy steps’ to save money [INSIGHT]
Santander issues scam warning for ‘dodgy’ texts [wARNING]
PIP claimants need to report changes or get taken to court [ALERT]

A person will get one or both of these depending on how severely their condition affects them.

Claimants will be paid these following amounts each week depending on their situation:

Daily living

  • Standard rate: £61.85
  • Enhanced rate: £92.40


  • Standard rate: £24.45
  • Enhanced rate: £64.50

People may get extra money for Universal Credit if a medical professional has confirmed that they have 12 months or less to live.

An independent healthcare professional will assess the claimant to help the DWP determine the level of financial support that they need.

People can put in a claim for PIP by contacting the DWP.

  • A person will need to provide: Before calling, one will need:
  • Their contact details
  • Their date of birth
  • Their National Insurance number – this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits
  • Their bank or building society account number and sort code
  • Their doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • Dates and addresses for any time they’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Source: Read Full Article