Tax credits: Are you eligible for Universal Credit if you get tax credits?

For people who need help with their finances, there are a range of Government benefits available which may be able to help. Universal Credit has replaced a number of previous benefits. So if you are receiving tax credits, are you still eligible to receive Universal Credit?

Are you eligible for Universal Credit if you get tax credits?

You cannot claim for Universal Credit and continue receiving tax credits.

If you make a claim for Universal Credit, your tax credits will stop.

This is the case even if your claim for Universal Credit is not successful.


  • Universal Credit: How much is Universal Credit? How to calculate

If your partner makes a claim for Universal Credit, your tax credits will also stop.

The Government website details how tax credits come to an end when you apply for Universal Credit: “After you’ve applied for Universal Credit, you’ll get a letter from HMRC (called your ‘award review’).

“This will tell you when your tax credits claim ended.

“After your tax credits stop, you can only make a new claim for tax credits if you get the severe disability premium or got it in the past month and are still eligible for it.

“If your application for Universal Credit is approved, it will take around 5 weeks to get your first Universal Credit payment.

“If you need help to pay your bills or cover other costs while you wait, you can apply to get an advance.”

Claiming tax credits can also impact on other benefits.

If you get tax credits it may mean you receive less in any of the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit


Universal Credit: How does a claim affect your tax credits? – EXPLAINER
State pension is taxable but Pension Credit is not – ANALYSIS
Council tax reduction: You may be able to get money off bill – INSIGHT


  • Universal Credit UK: Additional payments Britons may be able to claim

Can I make a claim for Working Tax Credit?

You can only make a claim for Working Tax Credit if you are getting, or recently stopped getting, a benefit with a severe disability premium (SDP).

Along with a number of other benefits, Working Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit.

So if you don’t think you are eligible for Working Tax Credit, you can consider applying for Universal Credit instead.

If you already get Child Tax Credits, you can add Working Tax Credits to your claim.

Can I make a claim for Child Tax Credit?

As with Working Tax Credit, Universal Credit has replaced Child Tax Credit for most people.

You can only make a new claim for Child Tax Credit if you get, or recently were getting or were entitled to, the severe disability premium (SDP).

If you aren’t eligible for Child Tax Credit, you can apply for Universal Credit on the Government website.

Source: Read Full Article