State pension UK: Winter fuel payment claiming deadline falls today – check now

Martin Lewis discusses state pension underpayments

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

State pension claimants born on or before October 5 1954 could get between £100 and £300 to help pay their heating bills through winter fuel payments. Eligible recipients should get their winter fuel payments automatically if they either receive the state pension or get another social security benefit not including housing benefits, council tax reduction, child benefit or Universal Credit.

However, in some circumstances people may need to make a claim for winter fuel payments.

This will need to be done if winter fuel payments have not been received before and:

  • They do not get benefits or a state pension
  • They only get housing benefit, council tax reductions, child benefit or Universal Credit
  • They get benefits or a state pension but live in Switzerland or an EEA country

To make a claim for winter fuel payment, claimants will need to call the winter fuel payment centre or post their request to the Government.

To get started on this request claimants will need to have their National Insuarance number, bank account details and dates of when they were married or entered into a civil partnership ready.

Additionally, BIC and IBAN numbers will be needed for those who live in the EEA or Switzerland.

Claimants will also need to detail whether during the qualifying week of September 21 to 27 they were in hospital, in a residential care home or ilford park resettlement home or in prison.

Retirement warning: Pensioners are losing £1000s on care costs [WARNING]
Pension contributions: UK savers urged to ‘boost’ their pots [INSIGHT]
Martin Lewis issues urgent warning on automatic enrolment

Where winter fuel payment claimants qualify, they will usually receive income between November or December.

However, the Government notes that if the money is not paid into an account by March 31 they should contact the winter fuel payment centre.

Today is the last day that a person can chase their payment, report a change in circumstances or cancel a claim.

It should also be remembered any money received from winter fuel payments will not affect other benefits the claimants may be receiving.

Claimants should report any change of circumstances they may have as soon as possible as these can affect how much is paid out.

The winter fuel payment centre will need to be contacted if a person has claimed winter fuel payment before and they:

  • Need to report a change of circumstances
  • Need to change their address or personal details
  • Want to cancel future payments
  • Want to return a payment

Claimants will also need to report any overpayments they may have received.

If an overpayment has occurred, either by mistake or through another reason, claimants may need to pay the money back.

This is important to note as claimants may be prosecuted for benefit fraud or have to pay a penalty if they do not tell benefit providers about overpayments.

Overpayments can be repaid through online banking, direct debit, card, cheques and cash and full details on this can be found on the Government’s website.

Do you have a money dilemma which you’d like a financial expert’s opinion on? If you would like to ask one of our finance experts a question, please email your query to [email protected]com. 

Source: Read Full Article