State pension: How to contact HMRC if your National Insurance record is wrong – check now

Steve Webb says its mainly women that rely on the state pension

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

State pension payments require at least 10 years of NI contributions, with 35 years needed for the full amount of £179.60. It is possible to check on a NI record through the Government’s website and take action if gaps are found.

The Government details a person can check on their NI record online to see:

  • What you’ve paid, up to the start of the current tax year (6 April 2021)
  • Any National Insurance credits you’ve received
  • If gaps in contributions or credits mean some years do not count towards your State Pension (they are not “qualifying years”)
  • If you can pay voluntary contributions to fill any gaps and how much this will cost

Before starting, people will need to have a Government Gateway user ID and password to check on their record.

If a user does not have an ID, they can create one when they check their record.

Aside from checking online, people can also request a printed NI statement online or by phone.

When claiming, people will need to say which years they want to cover.

Retirement warning: Women urged to check entitlement – pensions hit [WARNING]
Pension guidance: DWP launches plans to help savers avoid issues [INSIGHT]
Triple lock 8% rise ‘out of kilter with reality’ – ‘tweaks’ proposed

Should a person think their NI record is wrong, the Government details they should contact HMRC.

HMRC can be contacted online, called or written to.

If a person calls, they will face speech recognition software asking why they are calling HMRC.

The Government advises callers to try and use short phrases and words with this such as “change my address” or “find out National Insurance rate.”

HMRC can be called through the following phone numbers:

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3500
  • Textphone: 0300 200 3519
  • Outside UK: + 44 191 203 7010

The phone lines are open between Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, and they are closed on weekends and bank holidays.

All NI queries can also be addressed through the post except for complaints.

When writing to HMRC, people do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box.

The address to write to reach HMRC is: PT Operations, North East England HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AN, United Kingdom.

Full details on NI rules can `be found on the Government’s website and impartial guidance can be sought through Money Helper.

Source: Read Full Article