SAMSUNG has finally revealed the Galaxy S10 – which will be released on March 7 – and The Sun has already been hands-on with the new gadget to review it.
We're here to help you decide if it's the new Android phone is right for you, explain what's new about the Galaxy S10, and ultimately decide if it's now the best Android phone for 2019.
It's a tough one to call, especially as it was released alongside the Samsung Galaxy Fold foldable phone, but here we go!
Samsung Galaxy S10 review – hands-on and first impressions
There are three different Galaxy S10 models: the Galaxy S10, a bigger and more expensive Galaxy S10+, and smaller, cheaper Galaxy S10e.
There's also the 5G Galaxy S10 variant, but that isn't being released yet.
All of them are seriously attractive devices, though, and that's mainly because of a major redesign.
Samsung has adopted its brand new Infinity O display, which is an evolution on the Galaxy S9's Infinity Display.
The front of the handset is filled almost entirely with display, which looks genuinely fantastic. It's a bit space-age, honestly.
Apple is known for its top branding, but Samsung is fighting back hard with this eye-catching design – and it'll absolutely stand out in public.
It's impossible to say whether Samsung will win the 2019 smartphone battle, but the Galaxy S10 certainly has the hardware chops to do well.
For instance, there are three cameras on the back, which work together to take pin-sharp snaps.
We've had a brief play with the Galaxy S10 camera, and can confirm it's as fast and accurate as you'd hope. We'll need to test it in a full review, but our early impressions are positive.
Of course, the iPhone XS had a ludicrously impressive camera that has received rave reviews all around.
Relying on a triple-camera setup won't be enough: Samsung will need to make sure this snapper's shooting software holds up under scrutiny, too.
The phone also ran smoothly, which is likely thanks to the upgraded 8nm Exynos processor (octa-core) on board.
However, Samsung is up against seriously stiff competition – Apple's A12 Bionic chip inside the iPhone XS is supremely fast, and even beats some laptops and desktop computers.
On paper, the Galaxy S10 looks like a true beast, but how will it fare during extended use? And can it beat the iPhone? Nothing is certain! Stay tuned for our full review.
Samsung Galaxy S10 release date
Samsung announced the Galaxy S10 on February 20, 2019 at a special Samsung Unpacked event.
The Galaxy S10 and the Galaxy S10+ will both be available to pre-order from February.
And the official Galaxy S10 release date is set for March 8, 2019 – which is when pre-orders will start shipping.
There's also a 5G version of the Galaxy S10, but this won't ship until summer 2019.
Samsung Galaxy S10 specs and features
Probably the headline feature of the Samsung Galaxy S10 is its re-designed front.
Like the iPhone XS, Samsung has opted for an "all-screen" design, where the front of the phone is filled (almost entirely) with display.
The only exception is a tiny pinhole cut-out in the top right-hand corner of the phone, which is reserved for a selfie camera.
The results is a screen-to-body ratio of 93.1%, which is higher than the Galaxy S9's 83.6%.
The phone comes in four colours – Prism Green, Prism White, Prism Black, and Prism Blue – and generally looks very attractive.
Here are the key Galaxy S10 specs:
- Galaxy S10 dimensions – 149.9 x 70.4 x 7.8mm / 157 grams
- Galaxy S10 display – 6.1-inch (19:9) Dynamic AMOLED display with Wide Quad HD+ resolution
- Galaxy S10 processor – Octa-core 8nm processor
- Galaxy S10 rear camera – triple camera: 16MP (Ultra Wide f/2.2) + Dual Pixel 12MP OIS (wide/f1.5/f2.4) AF + 12MP OIS (tele/f.24) AF
- Galaxy S10 selfie camera – Dual 10MP (f/1.9) AF
- Galaxy S10 memory – 8GB RAM + 128GB storage / 8GB RAM + 512GB storage
- Galaxy S10 battery and charging – 3,400mAh battery / Wireless Reverse Charging / Fast Wireless Charging 2.0
- Galaxy S10 sensors and security – Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner / Accelerometer / Barometer ? Gyro Sensor / Compass / HR sensor
Here are the key Galaxy S10+ specs:
- Galaxy S10+ dimensions – 157.6 x 74.1 x 7.8mm / 175 grams
- Galaxy S10+ display – 6.4-inch (19:9) Dynamic AMOLED display with Wide Quad HD+ resolution
- Galaxy S10+ rear camera – triple camera: 16MP (Ultra Wide f/2.2) + Dual Pixel 12MP OIS (wide/f1.5/f2.4) AF + 12MP OIS (tele/f.24) AF
- Galaxy S10+ selfie camera – Dual 10MP (f/1.9) AF
- Galaxy S10+ memory – 8GB RAM + 128GB storage / 8GB RAM + 512GB storage / 12GB RAM + 1TB storage
- Galaxy S10+ battery and charging –4,100mAh battery / Wireless Reverse Charging / Fast Wireless Charging 2.0
- Galaxy S10+ sensors and security – Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner / Accelerometer / Barometer ? Gyro Sensor / Compass / HR sensor