PIP: How to claim PIP if you’re terminally ill – Which benefits can you get?

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps those who have extra care or mobility needs with money. The amount of PIP that you get depends on how many points you score in the PIP test for daily-living and how many points you score in the PIP test for mobility. The standard rate is at £59.70 per week, while the enhanced rate stands at £89.15 per week.

How to claim PIP if you’re terminally ill

You can get PIP more quickly if you’re terminally ill.

You can claim PIP if:

  • your doctor or a medical professional has said you might have less than six months to live
  • you are aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age

To start your claim, call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222.

You should also get a doctor or another healthcare professional to give you form DS1500.

The DS1500 form confirms your diagnosis and treatment plan.

They’ll either fill it in and give the form to you or send it directly to DWP.

You may also be eligible for other benefits if you’re terminally ill.

If a medical professional tells you you might have less than six months to live you can get benefits on a higher rate or get extra money.

You will also be able to get payments quicker than usual.

This process is sometimes referred to as “special rules”.

PIP points list: What happens during a PIP assessment? [EXPLAINER]
PIP UK: DWP release important face-to-face assessment update [INSIGHT]
PIP warning: The DWP may take you to court if changes aren’t reported [INTERVIEW]

If you live longer than six months following your claim, your benefits will continue but your claim may be reviewed after three years.

If you’re applying for someone else, you need to become an appointee unless your applying for Attendance allowance, PIP and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children.

You do not have to have someone looking after you to be eligible for Attendance Allowance.

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

If you’re 16 or over and have not reached State Pension age, check if you’re eligible for these benefits:

  • PIP
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit

You may be eligible to get two or three of these benefits at the same time, depending on your circumstances.

If you’re circumstances have changed you must contact the PIP enquiry line if:

  • your personal details change, for example your name, address or doctor
  • the help you need or your condition changes
  • your condition has worsened and you’re not expected to live more than 6 months
  • you go into hospital or a care home
  • you go abroad
  • you’re imprisoned or held in detention

Source: Read Full Article