PIP claimants may be eligible for up to £4610 extra per year – how to find out

Martin Lewis outlines eligibility for working tax credit

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

If you get PIP and you work, you might also be able to get the disability element of Working Tax Credit – up to £3,220 a year, or up to £4,610 if your disability is severe.
Both Working Tax Credit (WTC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) can include additional elements due to disability, which can increase the amount of the award.

The disabled worker element of Working Tax Credit is significant for disabled people but they have to meet two criteria to get it. Claimants will need to be receiving Child Tax Credit and working a certain number of hours a week to qualify for this extra element of Working Tax Credit, which is anything between 16 and 30 hours a week, depending on an individual’s family circumstances.

It’s always worth checking that someone is getting all the benefits they are entitled to as it can make a huge difference to their everyday lives.

According to charity Entitled To, more than £15billion is left unclaimed in means-tested benefits every year, but it could be even higher than this as the data isn’t always clear.

On its website it says: “Using the best data we can find we believe over £15 billion is being unclaimed by low income households across the UK.

“This means millions of our poorest families, young people and old people, disabled people, job searchers and workers are not getting the help they are entitled to.”

READ MORE:  Universal Credit claimants secure free super-fast broadband

Who would qualify for this disability element of WTC?

In addition to working at least 16 hours a week, – claimants must pass a work disadvantage test and be in receipt of (or have recently received) a qualifying benefit.

To get the disability element of WTC included in the assessment, an individual must have a physical or mental disability which puts them at a disadvantage.

This is assessed by the work disadvantage test and a person will also need to meet the required benefit conditions assessed by the qualifying benefit test.

National Insurance changes: Pensioners WILL have to pay under new rules [UPDATE]
Families could spend £400k before triggering £86,000 social care cap as key costs excluded [ANALYSIS]

Now is the moment to protect your wealth – before inheritance tax hike puts it at risk [WARNING]

If they satisfy the above rules for the Disability Element to be included in their Working Tax Credit award, an additional £3,240 will be included in their maximum tax credit award – this is increased to £4,610 if the disability is considered severe.

How much is PIP and who qualifies for the benefit?

PIP is made up of two parts – a daily living part and a mobility part and how much a person will get depends on how severe their condition is.

The weekly rate for the daily living part of PIP is either £60 or £89.60 and the weekly rate for the mobility part of PIP is either £23.70 or £62.55.

The rate of the mobility part depends on a person’s needs but if they are terminally ill, someone will get the higher daily living part if they’re not expected to live more than six months.

It’s paid every four weeks but it’s important to note the daily living part of PIP will be reduced if someone receives other benefits like Constant Attendance Allowance or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement.

Often people are left without the financial help they are entitled to because they don’t know what they can claim.
Unfortunately older people might still feel there is a stigma attached to asking for government help.

What is happening where you live? Find out by adding your postcode or visit InYourArea

However, an extra £4,000 a year could help them maintain some independence, pay for extra help around the home or help them pay bills.

All the information someone needs to check what they could qualify for is available on the government website.

Charities like Entitled To have really easy to use benefits calculators on their websites too.

Source: Read Full Article