Is it legal to park my car across someone's driveway if they don't have a dropped kerb? | The Sun

WITH available parking spaces becoming more rare by the day, disputes over where people leave their cars are now commonplace.

Homeowners particularly hate it if a motorist blocks their driveway – possibly with good reason – so knowing your rights is important.

Is it illegal to park across someone's driveway if there's not a dropped kerb?

You need to be aware of two factors about parking if someone's driveway does not have a dropped kerb.

Firstly, it is a legal requirement to have a dropped kerb in order to access a driveway in front of your house.

Secondly the Highway Code rule 243 states DO NOT stop or park in front of an entrance to a property.

An entrance to a property is usually indicated by the presence of a dropped kerb, so if there isn't one then it is not illegal to park across someone's driveway.


Here’s a basic kitchen product that can help make your car’s interior sparkle

I’m a cleaning expert – here are my five secrets for making your car sparkle

According to RED Driver Training, what makes parking across someone's driveway illegal is if there IS a dropped kerb – not that you're blocking access.

If you're parked over a dropped kerb – or even only covering it slightly – you could receive three points on your licence as well as a £100 fine.

What does a dropped kerb mean?

A dropped kerb is where the pavement has been flattened to meet the level of the road.

It is also called a crossover, and allows cars to drive over the pavement to get into their driveway from the road easily.

Most read in Motors


People are only just realising why traffic lights are red, amber and green


Tesla worth £44k bursts into flames after ‘self-combusting’ on street


Classic Aston Martin driven by James Bond sells for eye-watering sum


Here's a basic kitchen product that can help make your car’s interior sparkle

Dropped kerbs are also in place for easy pedestrian crossing.

You can't just put one in place – you need to apply for one from your local authority.

Rule 243 of the Highway Code also states you should not stop or park "where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles".

How do I get a dropped kerb outside my house?

You need to apply through your local council to get a dropped kerb put outside your house.

You can find out who your local council is on the website.

If you put in a dropped kerb without applying for it, you could be whacked with a fine.

When The Sun checked how much you could be charged, some councils like Waltham Forest said you could land yourself with a fine of up to £1,000.

Source: Read Full Article