Martin Lewis: HMRC chief explains eligibility checker issues
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Government Gateway accounts are used for when you need HM Revenue and Customs services including PAYE information and self-assessment tax forms. These accounts are created when you enrol online on these platforms for the first time.
What is a Government Gateway User ID?
A Government Gateway User ID is used when you register for Self-Assessment, VAT or any other HMRC service.
This user ID will be sent to you by email or post at the time you register.
The number is a combination of 12 numbers.
To create an account you will need the following information: your name, an email address, a password and a memorable word.
What services can you add to your Government Gateway account?
You can add the following services to your Government Gateway account including:
- Air passenger duty for plane operators
- Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing
- Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings
- Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI)
- Charities Online
- Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)
- Corporation Tax
- Customs Declaration Service
- EC Sales List (ECSL)
- Employment Intermediaries
- Excise Movement and Control System (EMCS)
- Gambling Tax Service
- Gift Aid
- Import Control System (ICS)
- Landfill Tax
- Machine Games Duty
- Managing Pension Schemes
- Money laundering supervision
- New Computerised Transit System (NCTS)
- Notification of Vehicles Arrivals (NOVA)
- PAYE for employers
- Pensions Schemes Online
- Personal tax account
- Rebated Oils Enquiry Service
- Rebated Oils Returns Internet Upload Service
- Reverse Charge Sales List
- Self Assessment
- Shared Workspace
- Soft Drinks Industry Levy
- Stamp Taxes
- Tied Oil Enquiry Service
- VAT EU Refunds
- VAT Mini One Stop Shop (VAT MOSS).
How to find your Government Gateway User ID
Search your inbox
If you cannot find your Government Gateway User ID, the first step you should take is to attempt to find it in your emails.
Search your email inbox and folders using the words “Government Gateway User ID”.
If this does not work, there are more steps you can take to recover your Government Gateway User ID.
Working from home tax relief: Firms make remote working permanent [INSIGHT]
HMRC warning: Businesses are not ready for IR35 ‘judgement day’ [EXPLAINER]
National Insurance number scam: Fresh HMRC fraud warning issued [ANALYSIS]
Seek further help from HMRC
If you cannot find your Government Gateway User ID in your email inbox, you should use the HMRC services problem page.
You can use the links on that page to recover your user ID, reset your password or recover your user ID and password.
You can also access details of what to do if you have lost your activation code or been locked out of your account here.
Call an HMRC helpline
If these links do not work, you should contact an HMRC helpline to recover your user ID.
The number you need to call will depend upon the service you are trying to access with your Government Gateway account.
The phone numbers are as follows:
- Self-assessment: 0300 200 3600
- PAYE for employers: 0300 200 3200
- VAT: 0300 200 3701
- Corporation Tax: 0300 200 3600
- Charities: 0300 123 1073
- Construction Industry Scheme: 0300 200 3210
- Pension Schemes: 0300 123 1079.
If you want any other help, you can seek help here.
What to do if you are locked out of your Government Gateway account?
If you fail to enter the right user ID or password five times, you will be locked out of your account.
Your account will unlock after two hours.
Advisors from the HMRC helpdesk cannot unlock your account.
Source: Read Full Article