- White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows on Saturday praised the GOP lawmakers pushing for the 2020 presidential election results to be overturned.
- In response, George Conway, the husband of former Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway, called Meadows "a moron and a disgrace."
- Lawmakers on January 6 are slated to certify the results of the 2020 election in Biden's favor ahead of his inauguration.
- But Republican senators, led by Ted Cruz, are spearheading an effort to reject President-elect Joe Biden's victory.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
George Conway, the husband of former Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway, on Sunday tore into White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows after he tweeted about GOP support to overturn election results.
"We're now at well over 100 House members and a dozen Senators ready to stand up for election integrity and object to certification," Meadows said in a tweet Saturday. "It's time to fight back."
"You're a moron and a disgrace," Conway tweeted in reply.
Lawmakers on January 6 are slated to certify the results of the 2020 election in Biden's favor ahead of his inauguration.
Meanwhile, Republican senators, led by Ted Cruz, are spearheading an effort to reject President-elect Joe Biden's victory. At least 12 Republican senators said they'd back the effort.
Biden won the presidential election with 306 electoral votes, thanks to key battleground states such as Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Arizona. Trump secured just 232 electoral votes. All states have now certified their vote counts.
Since Biden's victory two months ago, Trump has refused to explicitly acknowledge his loss. In the hours after the race was called for Biden, Trump said the "election is far from over."
He's since doubled down and sought to overturn the results in state and federal courts across the country. The Trump campaign and the president's allies have so far filed, and lost, dozens of lawsuits in multiple battleground states contesting the results.
And allegations of voter fraud have been struck down and disproven numerous times since Trump and his lawyers presented their arguments.
But the senators vowing to vote against Biden's victory are not backing down. Their efforts are being upheld by the GOP lawmakers in the House of Representatives.
At least 140 House Republicans indicated that they're planning to vote against counting electoral votes and delay the certification process for Biden.
But several Republicans, like Sen. Ben Sasse, have condemned any attempt to try to overturn the election results.
Biden is expected t8 win a majority of the votes needed for certification because of the Democratic majority in the House and Republican lawmakers who've come out against this effort to object.
Source: Read Full Article