Council tax: Millions due a £150 rebate in April – how to apply if you’re not in A to D

Martin Lewis reveals how to get a council tax refund

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Council tax rebates of £150 were announced by Chancellor Rishi Sunak last April to help cash strapped Britons meet the increased cost of living. It is estimated 80 percent of households will automatically receive the £150 council tax rebate, however some Britons will need to apply for support.

Financial journalist Martin Lewis has confirmed that people who receive a 25 percent council tax reduction will still receive the full £150 discount.

How to find out one’s council tax band

People can check which council tax band they are in by searching ‘council tax’ on

Although people can challenge their council tax band if they think it’s wrong, they should only do this if they are certain they will end up paying less as they could end up paying even more.

That said, almost half a million (400,000) are in the wrong council tax band.

The ‘most successful product’ pitched on Dragons’ Den – worth millions [INSIGHT]
Government has announced a £150 council tax rebate [UPDATE]
NatWest set to close 32 bank branches – full list of closures [WARNING]

Students, people who live alone and Britons on benefits are entitled to a council tax reduction.

Anyone who receives a discount of 25 or 50 percent will still receive the £150 rebate.

However this has led to fears that some of the poorest in society will miss out on this Government help.

Pensioners who receive the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit get their council tax paid in full.

Pensioners who don’t pay council tax could still benefit from this financial help.

To find out they’ll need to get in touch with their local council

The Chancellor also announced a discretionary fund of £144million to support those that don’t pay council tax.

Anyone whose property is in a higher council tax band might also find they can get help.

What is happening where you live? Find out by adding your postcode or visit InYourArea

Meanwhile, people could also benefit from £200, which will be repaid in subsequent years, to help pay rising energy bills this April.

However, Martin Lewis has urged the Government to scrap this idea in favour of a different solution that doesn’t have to be paid back.

The website conducted a survey which found the majority of adults would opt out if they had the choice.

More than half (57 percent) of people responsible for paying energy bills said they would refuse the loan if they had a choice, according to the YouGov poll.

Source: Read Full Article