Hello everyone! Welcome to this weekly roundup of Investing stories from deputy editor Joe Ciolli. Please subscribe here to get this newsletter in your inbox every week.
Hello and welcome to Insider Investing. I’m Joe Ciolli, and I’m here to guide you through what’s been happening in markets, as well as what to expect in the coming weeks. Here’s what’s on the docket:
- We spoke to Jake Ryan, the CIO of crypto asset hedge fund Tradecraft Capital, who explained how bitcoin could reach a market cap of $5 trillion by 2023, and $20 trillion by 2030.
- SPACs are all the rage in the market right now, but the blank-check craze also has a growing number of skeptics. We obtained exclusive data assessing which 20 SPACs are being shorted the most right now.
- The world’s top investment firms pay Rob Arnott for advice. He shares 2 investing ideas that could go down as ‘the trade of the 2020s’ as the world bounces back from COVID-19.
If you aren’t yet a subscriber to Insider Investing, you can sign up here.
Have thoughts on the newsletter? Just want to talk markets? Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]
Your weekly outlook
The past week in the stock market saw a few more flashes of the long-awaited rotation out of mega-cap tech stocks, and into beaten-down value names. On Monday the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 bottomed out more than 10% below recent highs before saving some face later in the week. Many popular meme stocks were collateral damage.
But the Nasdaq may have an ace in the hole in the form of the $1,400 stimulus checks due to hit Americans’ bank accounts as soon as this weekend. A recent survey from Deutsche Bank found that half of all people between the ages of 25 and 34 plan to use the money to buy stocks.
Considering the recent tendency for retail investors to chase momentum in tech stocks and Reddit favorites, it could be game on for the Nasdaq — and let’s be honest, probably GameStop, which saw a spike of renewed buying this past week.
The path to a $5 trillion market cap for bitcoin
Jake Ryan, the chief investment officer of crypto asset hedge fund Tradecraft Capital, explains how bitcoin could reach a market cap of $5 trillion by 2023 and $20 trillion by 2030. He also shares two emerging areas of the crypto-asset market that he’s bullish on.
Read the full story here:
The investing chief of a crypto hedge fund breaks down why he thinks bitcoin will achieve a $5 trillion market cap by 2023 — and shares 2 emerging areas of the asset class that he’s bullish on
The 20 most-shorted SPACs in the market
SPACs have taken a beating in recent weeks amid a broad tech sell-off. It’s put renewed focus on which are out of favor with investors as cries of a bubble mount.
While some traders are capitalizing on the slump using arbitrage strategies, others are shorting outright. We obtained exclusive data on the market’s 20 most-shorted SPACs.
Read the full story here:
These are the 20 most-shorted SPACs in the market right now as skeptics wager billions against the ‘blank-check’ revolution
The ‘trade of the 2020s’
Rob Arnott, the founder of Research Affiliates, counts firms like PIMCO and Invesco as clients and helped create a groundbreaking investing strategy called smart beta. He thinks value stocks in emerging markets and the UK are very attractive right now, and says buying them together is the “trade of the 2020s.”
Read the full story here:
The world’s top investment firms pay Rob Arnott for advice. He shares 2 investing ideas that could go down as ‘the trade of the 2020s’ as the world bounces back from COVID-19
Stock pick central
Seeking experts who are willing to name names? Look no further:
- Credit Suisse says buy these 13 ‘top of the crop’ stocks that are set to demolish low expectations and rocket higher
- Wedbush says to buy these 16 stocks that represent its analysts’ best ideas and are set to outperform in the next 6 to 12 months
- Buy these 36 stocks poised to surge this spring as Biden’s stimulus roll-out pours into the economy, Jefferies says
- UBS says to buy these 13 ‘most compelling’ contrarian stocks that are poised to surge, including one with 40% upside — and shares what could drive each one higher
- Goldman Sachs says buy these 21 stocks right now before they get a massive boost from further fiscal stimulus
- DEUTSCHE BANK: Buy these 16 online stocks set to capitalize on 2020’s shift in consumer habits — including one with an upside of over 78%
- Credit Suisse says these 49 stocks will be the biggest winners as the US economy sees its fastest pace of growth in the past 35 years
- Buy these 10 stocks that are set to become the market’s new long-term, momentum-driven favorites as big tech gets hit by rising rates, Morgan Stanley says
- MORGAN STANLEY: Buy these 10 stocks poised to soar as rising inflation unlocks their pricing power — including 3 that could surge 100% or more in a bull scenario
- Buy these 30 stocks poised to lead an electric-vehicle revolution that will account for 50% of new-car sales by 2030, UBS says
Source: Read Full Article