Blister will prevent Angels’ two-way player Shohei Ohtani from making next start on mound

Baseball fans wanting to see more Shohei Ohtani magic on the pitcher's mound will have to wait beyond this weekend, as the right-hander is dealing with a nagging blister on his middle finger. 

“He’s just nursing a little bit of a blister,” Angels manager Joe Maddon said Thursday, via MLB.com. “It’s got a lot better but that’s what he’s nursing right now. That’s it. We want this to be fully well and not be an issue this year. So that’s why.”

Ohtani had been scheduled to pitch either Saturday or Sunday against the Toronto Blue Jays. 

The blister first presented issues for Ohtani during an exhibition start against the Dodgers on March 29. That didn't preclude him from hitting 101 mph with his fastball during his first start of the season Sunday against the Chicago White Sox.

Joe Maddon said Shohei Ohtani’s blister is doing better, but added “we want this to be totally well and not have it become an issue this year.”

Ohtani was not only impressive on the mound. He cracked a 451-foot home run that left the bat at more than 115 mph and made history by becoming the first starting pitcher since 1903 to also hit second in the batting order. 

His night ended in the fifth inning following a collision at home plate, but the Angels said he was removed for "general soreness" and not because of the play. 

Ohtani gets the K, the ball gets away and there’s an accidental collision at home plate.

Luckily, it looks like Ohtani is ok! pic.twitter.com/ZEWWLBEHam

Maddon said the blister won't affect Ohtani's hitting, and he should remain in the lineup as the designated hitter.  

Follow Chris Bumbaca on Twitter @BOOMbaca.

Source: Read Full Article