The tech mogul reacted to the US President’s resolution to retain $500million in funding to the WHO. Mr Gates said it is “as dangerous as it sounds”.
He posted a tweet on Wednesday saying the US’ collaboration with the WHO is more necessary than ever.
He said: “Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds,
“Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them.
“The world needs @WHO now more than ever.”
On Tuesday, Trump announced his plans of withholding funding to the WHO immediately for “its role in severely mismanaging the spread of coronavirus”, adding that he would launch an inquiry into their mishandling of the coronavirus crisis.
The US Chamber of Commerce and the American Medical Association also condemned the President’s message and advised him to reconsider.
In a press briefing on Wednesday in response to Trump’s decision, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said “We regret the decision of the President of the United States to order a halt in funding to the WHO.”
Mr Ghebreyesus said the US is a “longstanding and generous friend” and added that the body does not only fight against Covid-19 but also other diseases including malaria, cancer, and HIV.
He said the WHO will assess how the funding cutback would affect its work and “will work with our partners to fill any financial gaps we face to ensure our work continues uninterrupted.”
The United States funds $400 million to $500 million to the WHO each year – roughly 15 percent of the body’s entire budget.
Trump claims the organization did not looking to the early signs of the virus’ ability to spread and that it did not condemn China for its lack of transparency.
The WHO first classed the outbreak as a public health emergency of international concern in late January.
WHO funding by country: Which countries fund the WHO? [INSIGHT]
Chelsea Clinton and Ivanka Trump’s ‘awkward meeting’ after fall out [REVEALED]
William Hague outlines ‘immediate’ action to tackle China after COVID [UPDATES]
One week later, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation pledged up to $100million toward the fight against the coronavirus as well as the research efforts to find a vaccine.
Of that pledge, $20million went to organisations including the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.
In the US there are currently over 615,000 confirmed coronavirus and the death toll is now over 26,000.
Mr Gates has advocated for social distancing practices, and in March, he demanded for Trump to implement a lockdown on the country.
In a TED interview last month Mr Gates expressed his discontent over Trump’s leadership as the president was eager to reopen the country.
He said: “There really is no middle ground, and it’s very tough to say to people: “Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner.
“We want you to keep spending because there’s maybe a politician who thinks GDP growth is all that counts,
“It’s very irresponsible for somebody to suggest that we can have the best of both worlds.”
The US President’s claims against the WHO come after he repeatedly disagreed with the world body.
“Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China’s lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death,” Trump said.
Source: Read Full Article